Dickey House

Location: Taylor, Texas

Date: 2010-2011

Client:  Blackshear / O. L. Price Alumni Association


Description: Dr. James L. Dickey was a prominent African-American doctor in Taylor, Texas. Specifically, between the 1920s and 1950s, Dr. Dickey served as the only black medical practitioner in Williamson County and one of only 130 black doctors in Texas. In 1953, Dr. Dickey was named year's most outstanding citizen of Taylor by the local chamber of commerce, as well as the general practitioner of the year by the Lone Star State Medical, Dental, and Pharmaceutical Association.  


The Blackshear / O. L. Price Alumni Association engaged CARMA LLC to conduct historic building investigations of the Dickey House in Taylor, Texas in support of its efforts to rehabilitate the building. The project will be conducted in three phases to include the production of a report which will prioritize the work required to rehabilitate the building and National Register of Historic Places nomination preliminary research. The report was completed in May, 2011.


The adaptive-use plans have be been contracted to Raymond D. Powell, licensed architect who is currently developing drawings and structural stabilization requirements.  Completion of the pre-construction planning is expected by May, 2012.


CARMA LLC will also serve as the project’s General Contractor and oversee the rehabilitation work. The house was constructed ca. 1925 and recently moved from its original location to a new site a few blocks away.  



Working around the globe to preserve resources.

All information and images are expressly reserved and copyright protected for use by CARMA International only.  Images available for purchase. Contact us for more information.